Leopardstown Park Hospital was established in 1917 as a hospital and home, for the care and treatment of soldiers who have been disabled or injured in the British Armed Forces. The hospital continued to operate for more than 50 years caring for ex-service personnel. The hospital has become home to many disabled soldiers, which of course it still is today. By the early seventies the number of residents had decreased to less than half of the total beds in use.
On 1st April 1979, Leopardstown Park Hospital Board took over full responsibility for the running of the hospital. Since then the Board has worked tirelessly to develop and improve the facilities of the hospital and cater for its traditional role in the care and treatment of ex-service personnel. A new challenge for the Board was to develop a hospital which can meet the needs of the Modern Irish Health Services and in particular the needs of the older persons from South East Dublin.The early eighties saw the first female patient admitted to the hospital for long-stay care.
In December 1980 the former nurse’s home was converted into a Welfare Home for 20 patients, now named the Clevis. With major refurbishments complete in the Clevis Welfare Home in 2008 the total capacity is now 30. With further developments taking place over the years the total Hospital capacity is now 171.
Since the early eighties a Day Centre has now been opened and located in the spacious concert hall and adjacent rooms. The centre caters for approximately 260 clients per week, who enjoy both social and therapeutic activities. Some years ago the centre was extended over 7 days per week.
A second day centre for clients with dementia is available in the Carman Day Centre five days per week. This day centre looks after 40 clients per week.
The hospital Board is currently considering further service developments including, such as: Enhancement of Dementia Services and Enhancement of Palliative Care Services.